In 2017, our foundation was responsible to conduct research on child safeguarding policies and to provide evidence-based information on the relevant national legislations in the CEE region. Furthermore, we were also involved in the policy development phase of this program and provided support for Hungarian NGOs and church-related organizations to elaborate and develop their own safeguarding policies.
We realized that other organizations (mainly schools) also need a safeguarding policy therefore we offered advice and support for schools free of charge to develop their own child protection and safeguarding policies.
In 2019, we organized an international conference on the importance and usefulness of child safeguarding policies in order to raise public awareness. The conference made it clear that raising awareness and giving a helping hand for schools, NGOs, and church-related organizations to elaborate and develop their own safeguarding policies is important for the well-being and safety of children.
Since 2020, our goal has been threefold in this field:
1. We provide online and free assistance to various organizations working with children to create their own child safeguarding policies. Our foundation is experienced in e-learning and online training development. We believe that in the 21th century we can successfully use the online platforms to educate and sensitize professionals. The Internet is a very democratic sphere: every school can easily access to the information they need even if they are located in a rural area.
We have compiled:
- an online training material for children, parents, and professionals
- criteria and a manual for self-monitoring from a child rights perspective
- a guide on how to develop an organization’s own safeguarding policy
- a template of a child safeguarding policy that can be used as a starting point for developing an own policy
2. We provide complete support for schools, NGOs, and church-related organizations to elaborate and develop their own child safeguarding policies. This close collaboration also includes trainings for children, parents, and professionals on the most relevant issues of the child safeguarding policies (protection, prevention, abuse, violence, bullying, safe and secure environment, etc.). A follow-up is also part of the joint work: the safeguarding policy has to be reviewed, monitored, and evaluated regularly by an independent organization.
3. Our long-term goal is community building. We strongly believe that the most effective way of improvement is to summarize our experiences and get to know the experiences of others. We organize meetings, discussions, professional programs so that the representatives of the various organizations can meet, learn each other and exchange experiences about child safeguarding, good practices, etc.